Instructor: Kathryn Lea, BSBA, MBA
Course Description: This course introduces new students to the graduate-level program and provides strategies for academic success within the University of Phoenix adult learning model. Topics include University of Phoenix graduate school tools and competencies, personal and societal values and ethical foundations, written communication and oral presentation skills, research and information utilization, collaboration, and critical thinking for decision making. The course also familiarizes students with the Colleges approach to course materials delivered through rEsource.
University of Phoenix Graduate School Tools and Competencies
· Utilize various University of Phoenix tools, resources, policies, and procedures to effectively manage your learning experience.
· Demonstrate effective written communication skills
Societal Values and Ethical Foundations
· Identify cultural values specific to a given society
Research and Information Utilization
· Develop a problem statement
· Identify information sources
· Evaluate information sources
Personal Values and Ethical Foundations
· Formulate a statement of personal ethics
· Evaluate the characteristics of effective self-directed teams
· Demonstrate effective team communication and conflict resolution techniques
· Apply critical thinking skills appropriate for personal and professional development
· Explain the relationship between critical thinking and decision making
· Apply personal ethical standards to business decision-making situations
Communication and Presentation Skills
· Utilize persuasive patterns to organize ideas
· Create effective presentations
· Demonstrate effective presentation techniques
· Compare and contrast personal, organizational, and societal ethical standards
· Demonstrate familiarity with the Graduate Business Program Map
Text: American Psychological Association. (2001) Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (5th ed.) Washington, DC: Author.
Dietsch. (2003). Reasoning and writing well (3rd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
Sabin. (2005). Gregg reference manual (10th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
· RESEARCH PAPER: Can Small Businesses Provide Affordable Health Care to Employees And Still Maintain Profits And Margins
· REFLECTION PAPER: Cultural Values and Personal Ethics
· PRESENTATION: Can Small Businesses Provide Affordable Health Care